Iceland private guided tours
- Sit back and let your driver-guide lead the way
- Learn all about Iceland as you travel around it
- Stay in hand-picked accommodation across the country
- Discover gems you wouldn’t know about otherwise
About our private guided tours of Iceland
- Detailed itinerary designed by Iceland Tours
- 24/7 helpline for the duration of your trip
- No hidden fees and just 5% deposit needed
- Option to extend your trip with extra days
FAQs about Iceland private tours
Yes, it’s easy to hire a private driver-guide in Iceland who will take you around the country in a rental vehicle of your choice. You can browse the packages above to find itineraries to suit your taste.
The great advantage of private guided tours like these is that you get access to the insider knowledge of a local expert, but in an intimate setting. You’ll travel in the privacy of your own group and build up a rapport with your guide.
They will also often arrange extra stops to show you something special or to get that perfect snap.
When you arrive in Iceland, you’ll transfer to your hotel in Reykjavík from Keflavík International Airport (not included). After a relaxing night’s stay in the city, your driver-guide will pick you up and your private tour will begin.
On each of your days in Iceland, your guide will show you some of the country’s incredible natural wonders. Imagine seeing the Northern Lights dance above you in winter, or strolling along a black sand beach under the midnight sun.
In the evening, you’ll be dropped off at your hotel and have time for yourself. Your guide will then meet you the next morning and your adventure will continue.
At the end of your trip, your guide will drop you off again at your hotel in Reykjavík.
Our drivers are experienced guides that know Iceland inside-out. They’ve built up years of local knowledge. This means they’ll be able to add those special moments and surprises to your itinerary that you can only get by going private.
Most of our guides have had formal training and qualifications. In any case, they’ll use their know-how to add that element of delight to your private trip.
The different seasons offer completely different experiences in Iceland, so there’s no one best time to go.
On the other hand, Icelandic summer gives you longer hours of light, so you can fit more into each day of your trip. You’ll also get warmer weather and see greener landscapes.
If you still can’t make up your mind between summer and winter, check out this blog about the best times to go to Iceland.
Iceland is stuffed to the brim with jaw-dropping natural attractions and once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Take a private tour and you could:
- Watch a geyser erupt on the Golden Circle route
- Follow in the footsteps of Vikings at Þingvellir National Park
- Come up close to Vatnajökull, Iceland’s largest glacier
- Chase the Aurora Borealis under the clear winter skies
- Walk behind the powerful Seljalandsfoss waterfall
- Explore the awesome sights of Snæfellsjökull National Park
- Wind in and out of the spectacular Eastfjords
- See freshly calved icebergs drift by at Jökulsárlón
- Roam the jet-black sands of Reynisfjara beach
- Hike the picturesque trails of Skaftafell Nature Reserve
You can also enhance your trip with exciting optional activities like:
- Relaxing in hot springs like the Blue Lagoon or Sky Lagoon
- Gliding on top of a glacier on a snowmobile
- Horseback riding through moss-blanketed lava fields
- Touring natural ice caves with a guide in wintertime
- Snorkeling between the tectonic plates at Silfra
To see the available upgrade options, check out the detailed itineraries for one of the tour packages above.
All of the privately guided vacation packages featured on this page include:
- Comfort or Quality accommodation each night
- Continental breakfast every morning
- Rental vehicle of your choice (4x4 or van)
- Expert guidance in English
- 24/7 helpline while you’re in Iceland
For info about the difference between Comfort and Quality options, see our accommodation page.
Good to know: These private trips do not include transfers to and from Keflavík airport or accommodation in Reykjavík. If you’d like us to arrange this for you, please let us know at checkout.
Packages from Iceland Tours don’t include flights. We do this so that you can get a wider choice and a better price overall. When you’ve figured out roughly what your travel dates will be, you can start to look for flights online.
There are direct flights to Iceland from many cities across Europe and North America, with connections further afield also available. Major airlines such as British Airways, easyJet, Delta, and Icelandair all fly to Iceland.
Once you’ve picked out your perfect package, simply follow the steps on the tour page to complete your booking. At checkout, you can add more days and extra activities so you can get even more out of your trip.
You’ll then receive a confirmation by email. Closer to your time of travel, we’ll send you all the documents you need for your upcoming Iceland vacation.
No matter what time of year you choose to visit, it pays to pack well so you stay warm and comfortable throughout your stay.
Here’s a suggested Iceland packing list:
- Warm, waterproof jacket
- Sturdy hiking boots
- Thermal layers
- Light raincoat
- Gloves, scarf, and hat
- Swimming gear (for hot springs and pools)
- Moisturizer and lip balm
For all the info on what conditions you can expect, check out this guide to weather in Iceland.